- Jack Black will star in the Gothic horror movie “The House With a Clock in its Walls” and Eli Roth will direct for Amblin Entertainment and Mythology Entertainment.
- No start date has been set for the project, which has been adapted by Eric Kripke from the 1973 John Bellairs book, which was illustrated by Edward Gorey. The story is set with a recently orphaned 10-year-old boy named Lewis Barnavelt moving to the town of New Zebedee, Mich., to live with his mysterious uncle — who turns out to be a warlock, while his next-door neighbor Florence Zimmermann is a witch.
- The titular house was previously owned by a couple who had dedicated their lives to black magic, and plotted to bring about the end of the world through a clock hidden in the walls…
- In his lifetime, from 1938 to 1991, John Bellairs authored 15 young adult horror books. His work is distinguished by three different “series” that focused on a particular teenage boy protagonist: Lewis Barnavelt, Anthony Monday, and Johnny Dixon. In each series of books, the protagonist becomes wrapped in a mystery that involves fighting some force of evil: deceased knights, maniacal wizards, or British occultists bent on destroying the world.
- John Bellairs’s most famous young adult novel was his 1973 debut, The House with a Clock in its Walls. But the Bellairs books I knew best as a child were those in the Johnny Dixon series. In them, Johnny, who lives with his grandparents in 1950s Duston Heights, Mass., because “his …